Crop Production

Agriculture claims 24% of the total municipal area. Rice is the major crop of the municipality wherein it covers 2,999.75 hectares of land area. Other agricultural areas are utilized as coconut, banana, mango, and vegetable plantations.

Of the total rice land, 69% (2,056.80 hectares) is irrigated while the remaining 31%(942.95 hectares) is rain fed. Based on the records of the Municipal Agriculture Office (MAO), there are about 2,279 farmers cultivating an average area of 1.24 hectares of farm land per farmer. The estimated volume of rice production is 261,402.50 cavans per year (assuming that irrigated area produces 95 cavans per hectare while 70 cavans for rain fed). There are three(3) cropping seasons per year for the for irrigated lands while two(2) for rain fed areas.

Livestock and Poultry

Livestock and Poultry production in the municipality is mostly of backyard scale usually intended for family consumption or to augment family income. Large cattle and carabaos are basically utilized for farm purposes.

Fisheries

Total area devoted to fishponds is more or less 8,588.71 hectares, the largest concentration of production fishpond area in the province. Estimated annual production of fishponds is about 5,206.74 metric tons. Species cultured in brackishwater fishponds include3 milkfish, mud crab and prawn while catfish, tilapia and carp in freshwater fishpond.

Marine practices in the municipality include shellfish culture, mangrove silviculture and fish pen/cage. Some shellfish are naturally gathered.

Mangrove silviculture is a growing practrice. The technique involves the rearing of fish, crutaceans and shellfishin a controlled mangrove ecosystem.

Philippine Republic
Philippine Republic
Province of Capiz
Province of Capiz
Municipality of Panay
Municipality of Panay